What We Have Covered in This Article
Last Updated on October 20, 2020 by Editor Futurescope
We all hate it when we receive all sorts of errors, on our Windows computers, especially after enduring the lengthy update process. On top of that, these updates seem to always be in technological jargon of numbers and letters (code). Mostly we get stuck not knowing what to do after encountering a windows update error.
Well, in this article I’m going to show you how to fix Windows Update error 8024200d and why you should not stress much if you face such issue. First off, let me shed more light on the common causes of the occurrence such an error. It is mostly a result of a download of a malfunctioned version of windows update. Or it can also be due to a misconfiguration in the system files of your Windows operating system. And sometimes it can be due to a conflict with a third-party antivirus program. It can also result from an issue concerning software distribution. Other honorable mentions of the cause of this error can be as follows:
- Installation is incomplete
- Improper removal of a crucial windows application or hardware
- Virus or malware infections
- Improper computer shutdown
The error appears mostly after download during the install process. These updates range from KB2925418, KB292961, KB2930275, KB292961. After the first error, other searches for updates and tries of reinstalling yields the same error, which is usually very frustrating. The error usually goes as follows: “Some Updates not installed. Error(s) found: Code 8024200d. Windows update encountered an unknown error”.
The solution to this windows update error 8024200d is usually as simple as a manual install of the Windows update. Its because the windows updates cannot download an update package again, even after detecting the current download’s incorrectness. Follow these steps below:
Method 1. Manual installation of the corrupted update
Open Microsoft Knowledge Base page
- First, browse the history of updates and search for the last failed update.
- Get the update number/code
- Go to the Microsoft Knowledge Base page:
Then replace the xxxxxx with the actual update number
- Locate and download offline installer for the update.
- Run the update, install it, and restart the computer.
- On the Start Menu Type and press enter:
- Go to the “services” tab tick “Hide all Microsoft Services” box.
- You can then click on the option to “deactivate all” and then click on the Start button.
- Go to task manager(can also simultaneously press (Control + shift + esc))
- Go to the Start tab
- Go through all items deactivating
- Restart the computer and install updates again from Windows Updates.
Method 3. Make Use of the Windows Command Prompt
Execute the following commands:
- Go to the command prompt by searching “cmd” on the start menu
- Run Command Prompt as an administrator
- Copy and paste the following commands as they are all at once.
Net stop wuauserv
Net stop cryptSvc
Net stop bits
Net stop msiserver
Ren c: \ windows \ SoftwareDistribution
Ren c: \ windows \ System32 \ catroot2
Net start wuauserv
Net start cryptSvc
Net start bits
Net start msiserver
- Wait for the completion of the process and the exit command prompt
- Check if the error has resolved.
Method 4. Perform a Clean Boot
Clean Boot. Follow the procedure below
- Simultaneously hold down the “Windows + R” keys on your keyboard to open the search box.
- Enter the following in the “Run” window:
- Then press “Ok.”
- Select the “Boot” tab, and then you disable the “Safe Boot” option.
- Go to the “General” tab, chose the “Selective Start” option, and uncheck the “Load starting positions” box.
- Select “Hide all Microsoft services” box in the “Services tab,” and then disable all.
- Go to the Start tab to open Task Manager or use the above-mentioned short way (method 2).
- After opening the task manager, go to the “Start” tab and right-click on each activated start item disabling them.
- Click ‘OK,’ and then click on Restart.
- Run The System Update Readiness Tool
System Update Readiness Tool
The system update preparation/ readiness tool is to check for the integrity of the system by generating logs in the following cases
To help collect logs, you must delete previous records, and
- Look for “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMPONENTS.” If it is available, you have saved it and delete it manually.
- Look for “pending.xml in C:\Windows\WinSXS.” After finding it, you should save it and delete it.
- Check for “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ComponentBased Service” by pressing keys (“Ctrl+F”); look for the KBXXXXX number installed manually.
- After finding the corresponding registration key, you should save it and then delete it using the following :
d.delete cbs.log (%SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) and %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
- After that, you should reinstall the corresponding updates by downloading them from the Microsoft update catalog, which gives the latest logs.
Furthermore, you can also download the logs to a network drive and unlock the link below.
cbs.log / checksur.log / Event Viewer\Windows Logs\Application, System, Setup
- Activate half of the services after redoing the first two steps
- Go to the “Services” tab and tick the “Hide all Microsoft services” checkbox.
- You should select half of the checkboxes in the list of services.
- Press “OK” and then restart your computer.
Method 5. Uninstalling Third-Party Antivirus
If all the above methods, you can try to disable your antivirus for a short period. This is because the antivirus might be blocking the installation of the updates. As above stated that the antivirus can conflict with the windows update preventing successful installation. You can then try to go to the windows update center and download and reinstall the updates.
Windows updates are crucial in the smooth running and operation of our Windows devices, be it laptops, computers just to mention the most common ones. Therefore, in this article, I strived to ease one of the headaches that many users get from these updates in case of occurrence of an error like the windowsupdate_8024200d. I hope you will find the solutions above very helpful during these troubling times.