What We Have Covered in This Article
- 1 Discord Update Failed Error Explained
- 2 Cause of Discord Update Failed Error
- 3 How to fix discord failed error on your device
- 4 How to fix Discord Update Failed error on Mac?
- 5 In conclusion
Last Updated on March 12, 2021 by Editor Futurescope
Discord is a popular all-in-one voice and chats app for gamers that’s free and secure. If you are a serious gamer, this app is for you as you can use it whilst you are gaming. You can easily use it to communicate with your friends and substitute it for other popular apps like Skype and Viber.
Discord works on both your desktop and phone, plus it has versions for PC, Mac, iOS, and Android. Sadly in spite of all its awesomeness, this app is more prone to experience discord update failed error which can be quite annoying and disruptive. Luckily, this technicality can easily be fixed.
In this article, am going to explain what is discord update failed error and detail the major causes of update failed error. I am also going to highlight some of the methods you can try out to fix Discord Update Failed Error on your gadget.
Discord Update Failed Error Explained
Discord update failed error is a technical glitch that occurs when you are trying to update your Discord app. The error prevents the app from installing the new updates that are meant to improve the app and to fix the problems that the initial version of the app might be facing.
Not only is this frustrating but it is also an inconvenience. Failure to update the Discord app can send your system in a discord update failed loop, which can affect your gadget and your app.
Cause of Discord Update Failed Error
You may be wondering why is discord stuck on updating? Or why is it every time you try to update your Discord you encounter an update failed error? Well, you are not the only one who encounters that problem. Discord update failed error is quite a common problem that occurs almost every time you are trying to update your Discord app. This is due to the fact that Discord is a very complex app with a lot of requirements. Here is a list of some of the causes of Discord update failed error;
Administrative Level privileges
One of the major reasons why Discord update failed error occurs is due to lack of administrative level privileges in the system which are essentially required for the updated features in the Discord app to successfully update. Discord app has a stream of members acting behind it to update its features thus to update it you need some permissions and administrative level privileges.
Another possible reason as to why your discord is having an update failed error is because the antivirus policy in your system tends to get contradicted with the updated features of the Discord app when you are updating it.
Discord update failed error can occur if there is a weak internet connection. To successfully update Discord, stable and strong internet is a primary necessity. If your internet connection is weak it is virtually impossible to update Discord and you will consistently experience discord update failed error even if you try out some of the quick fixes listed below. A secure and strong internet connection is of the essence when you are updating your Discord app.
Nonsupporting operating system
In some instances, Discord update failed error might occur due to the fact that the device you are using doesn’t comply with the operating system of the app or is outdated. The operating system that you used to update the earlier version might not be compatible with the new version. As a result, in order to update your Discord, you might have to change the operating system or the device itself.
The firewall settings of your device might cause a discord update failed error. The firewall settings can block your discord app and prevent it from updating if it deems it unsafe. Therefore in order to successfully update your Discord app, you might have to disable your firewall.
How to fix discord failed error on your device
Tired of experiencing a “discord Update failed” error every time you are trying to update your Discord to the latest version. Well, worry not because there are a number of methods you can try out to fix the discord update failed error on your Windows or Mac device.
Disable Windows Defender and Third-Party Antivirus
Many times, discord failed error is caused by Windows Defender and Third-party antivirus. When you are updating your Discord app, Windows Defender and antivirus tend to identify the new update as unsafe. Thus, it doesn’t allow the app to be launched on your machine, instead, your Windows Defender or third-party antivirus will block it and prevent it from updating. Luckily, you can easily fix this issue and update the discord app to boost its functionality.
- To start, click on the “windows” icon and then select the option “Windows settings”
- Scroll down and choose the “Update and Security” option which is found on the right side of your screen.
- Click the “Windows Security” and select the option “Virus and threat protection.”
- Click on “Manage settings.”
- Put the Turn on Real-time protection toggle
- Now try to install the update again.
NB*: After installing your Discord update make sure you turn your Real-time protection back on to protect your device.
If you are still failing to install the update, even after disabling the Windows Defender and third-party anti-virus you can try to disable the firewall too. Disabling your firewall helps to unblock the incoming connections. Here is how you disable the firewall;
- Type in “Firewall” on the search bar
- Click on the “Turn windows defender firewall on or off” option
- Uncheck on “block all incoming connections” under Windows Defender Firewall.
- When you are done simply click “Ok”.
After disabling your firewall, try to install the update. However, if you are still unable to install the update, repeat the steps, but this time around instead of blocking connections disable the firewall completely this time. This ought to fix your problem.
Rename the update file
This is one of the most efficient methods you can try out to fix the discord update failed error. It has proven to be more efficient than any other method listed in this article.
- Start by clicking the Windows icon
- Type “Run” in the search bar
- Click on the “Run app” option and click “Open”
- Type “%localappdata%” in the search bar and tap “Enter”
- When the “Local App Data” has popped up, click on the “Discord folder”.
- Rename the update.exe file to Update.exe.
- After you have renamed the update file, try to install the update
Reinstall the Discord app
To fix the discord update failed error you can also try to uninstall and reinstall the discord app. Even though it is a long process, this has method has proven to be effective. Here is how you reinstall the discord app;
- Start by clicking on the “Windows” click and type in “Task” in the taskbar.
- Click on the “Task Manager” option and select “Open.”
- A list of processes will pop up, check for any process that is related to Discord.
- Select a discord process and click “End Task.”
- ● Next stage, click on the “Windows” icon and select the “Apps” option in the Settings
- Check the list and select “Discord.” Click on “Uninstall.”
- To confirm click “Uninstall” in the next window page that pops up.
- Return to the “Windows” icon and type “Run” in the search bar
- Click on the “Run” app and select “open”
- Type “%appdata% and tap enter
- A new window page will appear, right-click on the “Discord” app and select “Delete.”
- In the run window page type “%localappdata% and press “Enter”
- Delete from that window too
- After you are done, restart your computer.
- Lastly, go to the Discord download site and download the installation package and reinstall it again.
How to fix Discord Update Failed error on Mac?
You own a Macintosh and you are also wondering to yourself how do l fix discord update failed Mac? Well, you can easily fix the error by simply following these steps;
- Firstly, close your Discord app and ensure that all its processes are terminated from the Mac’s Activity Monitor.
- Delete the following two folders:
- /Library/Application Support/Discord.
- Library/Application Support/Discord
- Restart your system.
- Download Discord from its downloading site.
Discord is one of the best apps that gamers can use to interact with friends whilst gaming. Unlike other apps, Discord is free, secure, and easy to use. However, even though it is a good app it is without flaws. Discord is prone to experience update failed error every time you want to update the app. Discord is a very complex app as a result, update failed error is a very common technical problem.
The good thing, however, is that this technical glitch can easily be rectified by a number of quick fixes that have been outlined above. If you experience any Discord update failed error you can try out any of the above mentioned methods, they are all good at fixing the error.